If you'd like to make a donation, you can do so by visiting http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AlanGibson

Strange name for a blog? See here for an explanation ...

Tuesday 22 February 2011

Off-topic: Mental health and debt

Although the subject matter of this blog is primarily bikes and cycling, tonight I discovered something which ties together a few disparate but related threads so beautifully, that I couldn't help but remark on it.

When I first thought about taking on this challenge, I was conscious that the money-raising aspect of it would be as difficult, if not more difficult, than the cycling part or the building-my-own-bike part. With the onset of crunchy credit and recessions and increasing unemployment and the like, I was well aware that a lot of people have a lot less money going spare for contributions to charities. I'm delighted to say that, in spite of this, my friends and colleagues have proved fantastically generous so far, as the totaliser at uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AlanGibson attests. You'll also hopefully be aware that all of the money I raise will be going to Mind, charity which provides help to the 1 in 4 people who experience mental distress each year.

However, I think we're probably all looking for ways to save money to a certain extent. One source I regularly use, whether it's finding the best insurance prices, cheap flights, voucher codes, you name it, is moneysavingexpert.com, and if you aren't already a subscriber to their weekly newsletter, I recommend that you sign up for it here.

Surveys have indicated that, of those who do suffer mental distress, almost half also have severe or crisis-level debts. For this reason, Money Saving Expert has teamed up with a number of organisations (including Mind) to produce a guide to mental health and debt, which can be found at:


No comments:

Post a Comment